These wholewheat open faced sandwiches, topped with goat’s milk ricotta and tomatoes are the perfect savory breakfast, but are also perfect as a quick snack or light vegetarian dinner. Toast your bread slightly before you use it, to get more crunch and flavor out of it. This way, you can use up even stale bread.
Just make sure to spread bread with a thin layer of butter before toasting!
RECIPE FOR 2, MAKES 4 SANDWICHES
- 4 slices wholewheat bread
- 8 slices goat’s milk ricotta with chives
- 2 large tomatoes
- handful of black olives
- fresh basil leaves
- pinch of salt or fleur de sel
- black pepper, freshly ground
- balsamic vinegar reduction
- Wash and dry vegetables and herbs.
- Cut goat’s milk ricotta into thin slices. Cut tomatoes into slices. Remove pit from black olives and cut olives into long slices.
- Place ricotta slices on bread and top with tomato slices. Add a few olive slices and fresh basil leaves.
- Sprinkle sandwiches with salt or fleur de sel and freshly ground black pepper. Finish with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduction and serve.
You can buy balsamic vinegar reduction in stores or make it at home yourself. Place half a cup of balsamic vinegar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat and let it simmer on low for about 15-20 minutes, or until the liquids evaporate and the sauce thickens.
The recipe is created by Kristina and Mitja – VibrantPlate